Updated on February 18, 2005
This page holds all league and field ground rules. For the use of Coaches, Players Fans And Umpires. We are always being asked What is this rule? and What is that rule? Now you can look up any rule at any time. These are Rotan league house rules. With the A.S.A. rules being used at all times. All of these Rotan league rules have been voted on by the majority rule vote of coaches attending the winter meetings in Januray over the years.
With the rules up dated. There have been some new rules added by the commissioner they will take place and be enforced for the 2005 season.
Rule #1 SUSPENSIONS
1. First time a player/coach/or manager is ejected from a game season or playoff...Will receive a (1) game suspension.
2. After that the same player/coach/ or manager ejected from a game season or playoff...Will be suspended for (3) three games.
3. Any player/coach/ or manager being ejected in the playoffs. This suspension would carry over into the next season, or until the suspension would end.
4. Using the f--- word to an umpire in anyway at or about the umpire because of any call. The player will be ejected from the game.
5. No appeal can be made on any ejection or suspension.
6. Any player/coach/ or manager that is on a suspension and comes to a game and gets into any type of argument because of any call made by a umpire. Will be suspended for (10) ten games.
If this person causes any more trouble in anyway during or after the ten game suspension, he will be suspended from the league for (1) one year from that date.
7. The first player coming from the bench area onto the field to get into any argument over a call made by a umpire. Will receive a (3) three game suspension. Any other player coming onto the field from the bench at the same time will be told by the umpire to leave the field at that time. If they do leave at that time they will not be ejected from the game unless they use any kind of abusive insulting language to a umpire. The head coach or his representative, if he is not at that game is the only person the umpires will talk to about any call.
8. Fighting - Players or coaches getting into a fight during a game on the field or after the game within (1) one block of the field. The one that starts the fight will receive a (5) five game suspension.
The same person that gets into another fight the same season will receive (1) one year suspension from the league from that date. All other players or coaches getting involved in the fight will receive a (3) three game suspension. Any of these people getting in involved in any other fights during that same season will receive a (1) one year suspension from that date.
9. A (player or coach) that is on a suspension is not permitted on or near the infield before or during a game. If this person is found anywhere in this area they would be given an additional game suspension. ~ NEW 10/14/2002
Rule #2 JERSEYS
1. A player on the field must wear the same team jersey as every other player.
2. For no reason will a player go onto the field without a team jersey.
3. Any team using a player without a team jersey will forfeit that game.
Rule #4 PROTESTS ~ Misinterpretation of a rule by a umpire
1. Protest on the field before the next pitch or before both teams leave the field.
2. Protest must be put in writing along with a $50.00 fee within 24 hours of the game.
3. Deputy umpire in chief in Philadelphia, Ron Greenley will rule on the protest. His ruling will be final.
4. If the team wins the protest the $50.00 will be returned to them.
5. The game will be played from the point of the protest.
6. If the team loses the money. The money would be split in half with one half going to the league champion, and the other half going to the playoff champion.
Rule #8 TEAM ROSTERS
1. Rosters with no more then 22 names must be turned into the league no or before the team plays their 4th, game each season. Failure will mean forfeiture of the 4th. game. Along with the teams forfeit money ($100.00)
2. After this date NO other names may be added for any reason.
3. Each player must print and sign their name to the roster.
Rule #10 FORFEITS
1. Having less then 9 players to start a game or finish a game for any reason.
2. Players not having a team jersey on the field will result in the team to forfeit the game and will lose their teams forfeit and bond fee if any.
3. Any new team or former team that get voted into the league will post a $100.00 probation bond money along with the forfeit money will be returned at the end of the season , if the team has no forfeits and has not dropped out of the league, A franchise will be awarded to them the second year and all voting rights will then be theirs. Note: Final approval for a new team getting their bond and forfeit money back and getting a franchise will be made by the league commissioner.
4. Any team using a ineligible player (any person that's name is not on the teams 22 man roster) Will forfeit any and all games that the team had won with that player in the line up.
5. TEAM ROSTERS ~ Rosters with no more then 22 names must be turned into the league on or before the team plays their 4th,league game each season. Failure would result in forfeiture of the teams 4th. league game. Along with the teams forfeit money ($100.00)
Rule #11 TEAM CAN RETURN AFTER THEY WERE PUT OUT OF THE LEAGUE
Any team that was put out of the league for forfeiting games. Can reapply for reinstatement back into the league after one year. (if there is a opening?) On a vote of approval by the league franchises and the league commissioner. This team would be on a second probation bond for the one season. The cost would be $300.00 that would be returned after that season ends. If the team has met all league rules and obligations, and has not forfeited any games, or has not dropped out of the league. ONE FORFEIT this team would lose all forfeit fee's ($100.00) and probation bond money ($300.00) This money would then become part of the championship game that season with $300.00 going to the championship team and $100.00 to the runner up team.
NEW RULE 1-19-2004 - LINE UP CARDS
Line up cards will be exchanged by the coaches untill the 3rd. inning. To make sure that only players at the game will be on the cards. After the third inning ends the cards will be given to the umpires. Any player coming to the game before the end of the forth inning. The coach will ask the umpire for his card and tell the other team that he is being added to the line up card.
Any Coach caught adding a players name to a card after the forth inning will be suspended for three games. If ever caught again that person would be suspended for life.
CAN'T PLAY DATES
Teams have until the February meeting each year to request a date or two that they could ask the league to have off that season.
Any team wishing to play in the Gold Medal, Sean Daily, A.S.A, or Freddy Adams softball tournaments shell inform the league at least (7) seven days before the date of the tournament. these four tournaments will only be recognized and approved.
RULE #3 ORIGINAL FRANCHISE
1. If a team leaves the bar that they played for the last season. And the bar owns the franchise. The bar holds the franchise until March 1st. of the next season. If the franchise is not paid for by March 1st, the bar loses its original franchise.
2. The other original franchises will then vote on what team gets the franchise.
3. The team leaving the bar will not have any vote as to what team gets into the league (getting the new franchise)
4. Any team in the league that is very weak or causing problems in the league in anyway... Can be dropped from the league by a vote of the other franchises.
5. If a despute arises with a franchise bar. And for any reason that bar would like to replace the original team for the next season, and before March 1st. of the next year the original team may then ask for a hearing on the matter. The league would then call a meeting of the dispute. A vote would be taken (the franchise in question can vote) the final vote will rule as to what team will play in the league.
6. To add to original franchise any team forfeiting two games in the same season will lose all forfeit money, and also lose the teams franchise to the league.
7. The bar will have until March 1st. each year to pay their franchise fee, or lose the franchise in the league. NOTE: a dispute like this could be reversed, where the original team for some unknown reason would like to leave the bar, in any case all that's needed is to ask the league for a meeting.
Rule #5 MISSING LEAGUE MEETINGS
When a team is fined for missing a league meeting (not having a representative of the team at the league meeting) that team will be fined $25.00. This fine must be paid in full by the end of the regular season. If not the team cannot play in the playoffs and will lose their franchise in the league.
Rule #7 BENCH RUNNER
One time in each game a team can use a BENCH RUNNER for anyone. But the player must have been out of the game for at least one full inning (3 outs).
The team can use any player on the bench even if they were in the game earlier, and was taken out. The team will not lose their right to use the re-entry rule for any player that is used as this runner. (Note: this is a Rotan league rule) New 10/14/2002
Rule #14 TIES AT THE END OF THE SEASON
All ties for positions at seasons end will be broken as follows... (2) two teams one game playoff, (3) three teams the team with the better record of the three (3) will draw a one game bye and will play the winner of the first game, (4) four teams will be 1 Vs. 4 and 2 Vs. 3
One new rule was voted in for the new season and that is. The team winning the series best out of 4 games like team B over team C winning the series 3 to 1. If these two teams lets say comes in a second place tie at the end of the season team B would win second place. Now if teams B and C are tied at 2 games each at the end of the season there would be a one game playoff for second place. Vote 5 to 1
NEW AND UPDATED RULES
ASAŽ DUDLY SB-12 Softballs will be used in all league and playoff games.
Home team will supply two new Duley day/night balls to the umpire before ecah game.
UP-DATED - August 1, 2003
Subject: RE: TPS Air Inertia
The AI is an air chambered bat & possesses only one wall. It is classified as a
single walled bat.
2. ALL SINGLE WALL BATS ARE GOOD -
All double and triple wall bats are banned in this league. Single wall bats are the only bats permitted at any time.
(NEW UP DATED >>>April 26, 2005
CHALLENGING A BAT ~~ NOTE ONCE A PROTEST IS MADE ABOUT A BAT. THE FEE MUST BE PAID. THE PROTEST CANNOT BE WITHDRAWEN OR THE FEE WILL BE TAKEN FROM THE TEAMS FORFEIT FEE AND MUST BE RE-PAID BEFORE THE TEAM CAN PLAY THEIR NEXT GAME.
1. The coach of the team making the challenging will call a time out and tell the umpire the bat is illegal.
2. The umpire will tell the team using the bat the game is under protest and that the bat can be used the remainder of the game. At the end of the game the umpire will take the bat and give it to Jack Moore or Bill Wilcox.
3. The team challening the bat will have 24 hours to pay a protest fee of $50.00. THE FIRST PROTEAST. If the bat is judged to be illegal.
The $50.00 fee will be returnd to the challenging team.
Be sure as to what bats are legal and illegal but someone needs to keep an eye on the bats that are being used before someone gets hurt. If the bat has on it one of the following it is illegal " doublewall, multi-wall, multi-shell, tri-shell, triple shell, dual shell, quad shell, est, double, double action, double threat, titanium, air, springsteel, outlaw, rebel, or exceeds 1.20 bpf. So yes you are reading this right this makes bats like the Air Inertia, Air Attacks illegal.
If there is a second protest by the same coach that season. The fee is again $50.00 and another $100.00 fine if the bat is judged to be legal. ($150.00 total) If the protest is up held (good) the $50.00 will be returned to the challenging team and the $100.00 would not be paid. All protest money lost is always put into the championship game with some going to both teams.
4. The penalty for the team using the bat - Will be forfeiture of that game and the team will lose its $100.00 forfeit fee. Second offense expulsion from the league.
3. BROKEN WINDOWS -
Both teams on the field at the time will split the cost equally.
4. LEAGUE COST PER TEAM
PLEASE NOTE: This rule was waved for the 2005 season ~ No money will be returned.
Each team will pay $650.00 league fee with $100.00 being returned if the team dose not forfeit a game (NEW TEAMS) $750.00 because of the $100.00 bond with no forfeits in their first season $200 would be returned to the team. (Note: all league fees most be paid in full on or before the leagues last spring meeting each season)PRIZE MONEY
~~ 2005 SEASON - League 1st. Place $1000.00 ~ 2nd. Place $400.00
Playoffs ~ Champion $900.00 ~ Runner Up $300.00 = $2,600.00 Up Dated 4-20-2005
5. ALLSTAR SHIRTS-
Players will wear the shirt of the team they play for.
6. LEAGUE SCORE KEEPER -
The league stat person will receive $500.00 a year.
7. LEAGUE SECRETARY/TREASURER -
The league Secretary will send out all meeting notices, record all league rules up dated. The league Treasurer will bank all league fee's and prize monies. The Treasurer will also handel the job of keeping the count of each players games played, And if he can do the softball website and all new and up dates. This position will pay $400.00 a year.
8. RUNNER RULE -UP-DATED 1-19-2004
runners for pitchers or catchers with two outs THE ONLY RUNNER THAT CAN RUN IN THIS CASE IS THE PLAYER THAT MADE THE LAST OUT..
9.D.H. & EH RULE FOR 2002
A team may use a D.H. for the pitcher only. The D.H. may never enter the game and play. If the team is batting for the pitcher. The player batting should have DH in front of his name on the line up card.
EH - If the team is letting their pitcher hit for himself. They can use a EH (Extra Hitter may never enter the game) and bat him anywhere in the line up. EH must be put in front of his name on the line up card. This would give the team 11 players batting in the game.
H E T Z E L L ~ G R O U N D ~ R U L E S
1. PITCHING A.S.A.
rules pitchers must start with two feet touching the rubber. First step must be forward.
NEW AND UPDATED PITCHING RULE 1-19-2004
CHANGE IN PITCHING ~ Pitchers may start with one foot off of the rubber (in back)
2. No Bunting or stealing.
3. Bases 65 feet.
4. Pick off attempt - Force out, on a wild throw the runner played must retuch the base before advancing. (an appeal must be made if he does not) All other runners may advance without retouching.
5. No sidearm or slingshot pitching permitted. A pitchers shoulders should be parallel with first and third base, and his arm to home plate after he releases' his pitch.
5. HOME RUN -
A- Any ball going over the left field fence on a fly.
B- Any ball bounding threw to the right of center field gate opening.
C- Any ball hitting the light pole above the fence in left field.
Any ball that bounces or flies through the left field fence from the foul line to the right hand side of the center field gate.
6. TRIPLE -
A- Any ball getting stuck in the frnce on the fly or on the bounce.
B- Any ball that rolls under a bench in the outfield that gives the player any trouble getting to it. (This is the umpires judgement call)
7- FOUL BALL-
a- Any flyball that hits any part of a tree in fair or foul territory.
8- DEAD BALL AREA -
A- Third base, end of fence diagonally to light pole.
B- First base 90 degrees from end of the fence.
9-No Acholic Beverages are permitted.
10- FORFEIT TIME -
A- 20 minutes after scheduled start. Game times are 7:00 forfeit is 7:20pm and 8:15pm forfeit time is 8:35pm.
11- TEAM -
A team consists of ten players a DH may bat for the pitcher only. A DH may never play defense.
12- RE-ENTRY RULE-
Any of the starting players may be substituted for at any time. The starting player may return to the game and replace the player that took his place in the line up. When this happens the substitute player cannot re-enter the game at any time. (But can be used as a bench runner)
13- NINE PLAYERS -
A team is permitted to start the game with nine players. If the 10th. player comes before his turn at bat he can enter the game. If he misses his turn at bat. The team must play the game with nine players.
14- COURTESY RUNNERS -
15- METAL CLEATS -
16- TEN RUN RULE -
Automatic after five innings.
17- BALL GETTING BY THE PITCHER -
A ball thrown past the pitcher by the catcher after a pitch is alive, runners may advance at their own risk. Only the player that is being played on must return and tag the base. All other runners (may advance to the next base at their own risk) from where they are standing at the time of the throw.